My how this month has flown by, it’s great to have a little snow for deer hunting, and I do believe winter has arrived. My month started :
– Oct. 2nd by delivering food for Bemidji CBOC (Community Based Outpatient Clinic);
– 3rd to Detroit Lakes Chapter meeting it was great seeing old friends again and the work with the Chapter;
– 4th to Camp Ripley for deer hunt, again got to network and visit with old friends;
– 5th -7th Fall Conference and Chapter Service Officer training, if you did not attend you missed a good Conference. Past Department Commander Aguirre also set up a meeting with past Department Commanders as well as Past Auxiliary Commanders that were present, a good meeting.
– 11th -12th in Anoka for the Commander Task Force (CTF) meeting, if you have not gone to this site please do so. This is the Task Force that works on legislation for all Veterans http://www.mnctf.org/ and helps decide date for Veterans on the Hill. The date for Veterans Day on the Hill is March 12th. Please start planning to attend this yearly event, it helps get the word to our legislators on bills, we have for Veterans and/or their Spouses. Keep up on the CTF monthly.
– 14th to the pheasant hunt in Avon, MN, 30 hunters and 250 plus pheasants taken, European type hunt, it was a treat. Next year if you have not seen such a hunt do apply at the DAV web site. At hunt one new member signed up and met many DAV members that I had not met in the past.
– 15-16th did computer work for DAV, this is a task that is never completed!
– 18th to Park Rapids for a Volunteer Drivers party, great to see the drivers and their wives. Trent ( our full time transportation and Legislation Director)was there to give talk. We have over 150 Volunteer Drivers state wide with a total of 23 DAV vans State wide and another 200 drivers that give their hours to the DAV. Vans driven by our volunteers are trained by VA (do not need to be member of DAV or be Veteran to drive).
– 19th to St Cloud for a meeting with the Hospital Director for VA hospital sharing thoughts and ideas Trent and DAV State Adjutant Butch their also.
– 20th-21st Detroit Lakes 14th District meeting (14th district for DAV is ND, SD, MO and MN) great to network with our district members. Mr. Day, 2nd National Jr Vice was main speaker, also present Montana, Mr. Parsetich 4th Nation Jr Vice, Stephen Whitehead 1st National Jr Vice and Mike Dobmeier Nation Judge Advocate, Chair of the District was National Executive Committeeman from MN Dave Valtinson , to have so many National officers present was a real treat.
– 22-24th VAVS meeting, Savers and executive meeting all in the Cities;
– 25th meeting with drivers of DAV/VA van from Bemidji to set up schedule for next four months and work on some issue’s drivers faced.
I drove 2,872 miles over 16 days on the road can only guess at hours but if I had to, it would be around140 hours or so would be some were in the ball park. This has been a very enjoyable month. By the time you receive this it will be Thanksgiving, do enjoy your time with your families and friends. I am very thankful to represent each of you as I go to different meetings and events around state, again thank you for this honor. May God bless each of you and your families, I am so proud of you and what you do for Veterans or their families.
Robert Saddoris, Commander of DAV of MN